Bass-Tongue-Drum in Ash, 8 tones penta.
The Big One - for children and adults - Ash
Feel the gentle deep rhythm whole-body (lying down) or interactive (two players sitting at the ends) or drumming naturally. Feel the sound here is palpable and very invigorating. 8 full-sounding tones made from the best regional ash.
- tuned in D minor pentatonic
- tone sequence: D - E - G - A - H - D - E - G
- wood: lid - ash, body - pine
- dimensions: 120 x 40 x 45 cm
- Accessories: 2 mallets, hygrometer for humidity measurement
- 120cm long
- NEW - disinfectable
- Biologically treated with hard wax oil
- Made in Germany
more info ...
The 8-tone bass-playing slit drum from feeltone is the first instrument with the "feeltone - idea" on the market. Feeling the rhythm while playing is so simply and uniquely realized here. The drum has feet on the bottom and on one side, so the instrument can also be tilted on its side and used as a lying version. There are two ways to experience the "feel the sound" principle:
- Playing surface on top. Two players sit at the two ends of the drum, where there are no reeds, and play the reeds that are now in front of them with the mallets. Slowly it starts, the exploration - the vibration is perceived in amazement in the body and quickly the shyness dissolves and a joyful interactive drumming starts, at first not necessarily musical - the counterpart wants to be known - but later joyful, cheeky, funny, refreshing. Creativity is awakened and rhythm as communication connects and enlivens.
- Playing surface on the side. The bass slit drum is tilted on its side. The lid is on the side, on top there is a blank pine side. This is padded with a blanket and a child or adult is placed on it. The legs can hang down or be placed on the drum. A player (companion or educator - or a practiced mindful child) sits next to the drum and gently strikes the individual sound tongues one after the other with a mallet. First you want to feel how the person is feeling, if that is OK - then the slow gentle drumming can begin. If you keep an eye on the breathing of the person lying down, the player can recognize what is going on in the person lying down and when it is enough.
The bass slit drum can of course also be played as a pure percussion melody instrument, as well as in a vertical position or as a bench. Caution - please do not sit on the reeds.
In nursery schools, clinics, institutions for people with handicaps, this drum is very popular because of its "feel the sound" capabilities for mindfulness exercises and to experience one's own body as pleasantly perfused. Particularly with hyperactive children wonderful successes are to be registered. The attention goes from "being out of oneself" back to the inside, the body is perceived again, the system calms down and the child can be integrated again.
The 8 notes tuned in D minor pentatonic are arranged in an order that the left hand starts at the lowest note on the left, then the next note of the scale is played on the next row of notes with the right hand, in this way it continues left - right - left and down again to the highest note. Arranged in this way, a clear sequence can be followed in rhythmic playing, but it is also possible to experiment intuitively with the timbres. Playing patterns that please are repeated, from time to time a tone breaks out and explores new sound fantasies. Beginning as a drum with rhythmic patterns that are staggered in time, melodies slowly build up. The bass slit drum can be played as well with mallets as with fingers and hands.
How to play
The mallets can be used to simply strike the notes rhythmically and clearly in succession. The player can also let the mallets drip on the notes, i.e. one lets the rubber ball of the mallet dop on the tongue and holds the stick in such a way, as if one wanted to remain on the tongue, thereby the soft rubber ball is sprung back. If you now let the feathering glide not only on one, but over several tongues, fascinating sound patterns are created, which can be combined with the simple striking of the tongues.
Material and workmanship ...
Finest feeltone craftsmanship made of high quality materials, lovingly manufactured from the plank to the tuning in the northeast of Germany at the beautiful Baltic Sea and shipped all over the world.
NEW - Disinfection
Surface - antibacterial and disinfectable
Since our main customers for these instruments are clinics, institutions and daycare centers, we now offer a hard oil surface finish for the best protection and safe cleaning. This natural oil is as easily biodegradable as our previous hard oils. Please ask for a European certificate.
- fast drying natural oil
- low in solvents, therefore pleasant odor
- antimicrobial effect according to ISO 22196:2007
- certificate on request
The bass slotted drum has a stable interior, is built from long grain regional ash and is cleanly tuned. It is feeltone's largest, unique on the market and very popular with young and old.
Sound differences between ash and padouk
Padouk, as an excellent tonewood, has very good vibration characteristics. This is noticeable in the slotted drum with a longer resonance. As a native alternative we use ash. This particularly long-fibered wood comes very close to Padouk in terms of quality.
Please use good speakers or headphones when listening to the videos! The normal, simple speakers in laptops and cell phones are not designed for the low and natural frequencies.